Now, I know they're not supermodels, but aren't we all glad that at some point in that decade SOMEONE showed them a mirror?
These are the lowlights of our 10 year Club Sandwich Reunion:
- Watching a video of myself as a drunken non-Christian, wearing such embarrasingly dreadful clothes that the assembled company had to agree that we couldn't believe no-one took me (or, to be fair, a nameless friend wearing jeans with a waistline meeting her bosom. This was nineteen ninety six, not nineteen EIGHTY six.) aside and sorted me out, or indeed that anyone was prepared to talk to me at all.
- Arriving at half past nine and finding that the only other people there were bar staff.
- Glaring at the DJ as he played the second Arctic Monkey song. I mean who can dance to that?
These are the highlights:
- Realising that I am no longer the girl on that video. In fact, IN FACT, I am a new creation.
- As documented on my 365, the moment when as we got onto the bus in Peckham, Mad Clare asked "What's a kebab?" to which Tan dryly replied "the thing you're standing in".
- The buzz of excitement as we walked up that familiar road leading up to the union door.
- Our delight in finding that, although the rest of the union was uncharacteristically clean and sterile, the toilets were JUST as we remembered them - fit for sanitary condemnation. Ah, memories.
- A moment when I looked up to find that the 6 of us were deep in conversation in pairs, talking about what was happening now, in 2006, and remembering that we weren't really in a time warp.
- The moment when I HAD to get on the dancefloor because my all time favourite tune to dance to came on:Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough.
- The moment when, although the DJ had systematically ignored all of our retro requests for the Spice Girls and Prodigy, he did actually play Jump Around by House of Pain. We did.
- ALL the dancing.
- Visiting that same old kebab shop afterwards. *Sigh*.
- Waking up the next morning with my old mates, glad that they are still my old mates.
So, next stop 2016, when I can guarantee that the union toilets will be EXACTLY the same.